Wednesday 23 March 2016

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes



As always, dear readers, the best laid plans go to waste.  I was determined to have a post every week to go along with baking something each week.  I don't know what happened this month.  I was worn out, sure but mainly I was a bit uninspired.  I bake better when I have a purpose.  Otherwise I just default to my faves.  No good for the blog though.  This bake came about during my first week of having no definite goal in mind.  I just wanted to make something.  The Hubby requested cake of some kind.  I did intend to just make use of things in my cupboard, but that got scrapped because I wanted to make something with lemons, meaning I had to go out and buy them.

I decided to make my own lemon curd, since I figured it was a good way to use the yolks from the eggs that were for the meringue.  I ended up with way more than I needed, even after halving the recipe so I've halved it again in the write-up. I also didn't read the whole recipe in the book and so ended up adding my lemon curd at a different time from the original.

There's not much more to say really.  The Hubby enjoyed them.  A subtle lemon sponge with a sharp burst of lemon curd in the middle, which cuts through the sweetness of the meringue.  A successful and delicious little bake. 


Recipe - makes 8


Lemon Curd Recipe - adapted from BBC Food
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 50g/1.75oz caster sugar
  • 25g/1oz butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  1. Put the zest, juice, sugar and butter into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water.  Stir the mixture every once in a while until the butter has melted.
  2. Lightly whisk the egg yolk and then stir into the lemon mixture.  Whisk until combined then allow to cook for 10-13 minutes.  Stir occasionally until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  3. Remove from heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.  Once cooled, cover and keep in the fridge until cakes are ready.
Cakes - adapted from Cupcake Heaven:

  • 115/4oz butter
  • 100g/3.5oz caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 115g/4oz self-raising flour
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 tablespoons lemon curd
Meringue:
  • 150g/5.5oz caster sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with 8 cupcake cases.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
  3. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
  4. Sift in the flour and fold in before stirring in the lemon zest and juice.
  5. Distribute the mixture evenly between the cases and then bake in the oven for about 17 minutes, or until the cakes are risen and springy.
  6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  7. Use an apple corer pushed 3/4 of the way through each cake to remove the centre, reserving part of the top of each.
  8. Fill each core with lemon curd then replace the tops. 
  9. Make the meringue by putting the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water.
  10. Whisk the ingredients together continuously for about 5 minutes until it becomes thick, glossy and stands in peaks.
  11. Put the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.  Pipe swirls of meringue on top of each cake and then leave to set.  For soft meringue, leave for about 30 minutes.  For firmer meringue, leave for at least 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment