Thursday 16 July 2015

Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts with White Chocolate Drizzle


This is a bake from a while back: Valentine's Day to be exact.  Being swamped with work was not going to stop me from baking something sweet for my Hubby.  Plus we had a mini holiday that weekend.  Sadly, no time to blog back then but I did grab some snaps in the hopes I would get around to it (and not just because I wanted to play with my new camera).  5 months later isn't too bad...right? 

Anyway, if you've been following this blog a while, you'll know by now that the Hubby loves lemon and blueberry as a flavour combination so I usually incorporate it into bakes meant for him.  And, as usual, I wanted to try something new.  So I went with doughnuts.  The Hubby does like doughnuts, though he prefers the jam filled kind to the glazed sort.  Baking fruit into doughnuts is a bit like filling with jam...Okay, one day I will do proper jam filled doughnuts for him. I need more excuses to use my doughnut pan.  Though I will need to get a syringe somewhere down the line.  Better add that to the birthday wishlist.


There's not much to say about the recipe.  It was pretty simple to do.  The batter is quite thick so getting a smooth finish in the tin was a little tricky.  The other problem I had was getting the doughnuts out the tin again after baking because some of the blueberries would adhere to it.   Letting it cool a little helped with that one.

I did decide to change the finish on the doughnuts.  The original recipe uses a lemon sugar.  That would likely have gone down well too but I wanted to fancy it up a little more.  And if there is anything that makes the lemon and blueberry combination even better, it's white chocolate.  So a white chocolate drizzle was the way I decided to go.  The sprinkles were a bonus.  I found some interesting new sprinkles by Dr Oetker when doing my grocery shopping online and decided to buy a couple.  Amongst my choices were lemon meringue sprinkles.  I decided they would be the perfect finish to add a little extra flare to the doughnuts, as well as a bit of crunch.

The Hubby very much enjoyed these doughnuts and did eat all 10 by himself.  I was very happy.


Recipe - adapted from Spark Recipes
Makes 10 doughnuts
Doughnuts:
  • 100g/3.5oz white whole wheat flour
  • 100g/3.5oz plain flour
  • 75g/2.5oz granulated sugar
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 125ml/4.5fl.oz plain yoghurt
  • 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice 
  • 200g/7oz fresh blueberries
Topping:
  • 100g/3.5oz white chocolate
  • Dr Oetker Lemon Meringue Sprinkles or other sprinkle type decoration (optional) 
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/375°F/Gas Mark 4 and grease a doughnut pan with butter or cooking spray.  Wash and dry the blueberries.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients for the doughnuts in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients except the blueberries.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in until just combined.
  5. Gently fold in the blueberries.
  6. Put 2 tablespoons of batter into each doughnut form in the tin and smooth out.
  7. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.  
  8. When doughnuts have cooled, melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water.
  9. Drizzle the chocolate over doughnuts and sprinkle on chosen decoration.  Leave to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment