Tuesday 14 October 2014

Great British Bake Along: Viennese Gugelhupf


I have to say, I am quite disappointed with myself.  My Bake Along challenge kinda fell apart after I started work.  It's been a tough eight weeks which I have been struggling to cope with.  Things have not been going as well as I would have liked.  It also wasn't helped by the fact I got into a car accident a few weeks back, which has had me too scared to drive a car since.  Consequently, commuting to and from work has become a longer process.  Now that it is the school holidays I am hoping to get back out in the car for some practise and to boost my confidence again.

Anyway, that's why my posts stopped for a while.  A pity, since the Bake Off has finished.  A bit hard to do a bake along when I have nothing to bake along to, huh?  So I figure I will catch up with the two posts I was unable to get done after a bake and then hopefully somewhere along the way I'll be able to try out a few things I never got a chance to do.  Sadly, there does not seem to be much point in a commentary any more, since whatever I say will be a bit redundant at this point.  So we'll just skip straight to the bake. 


What week was this one...6?  Yeah, 6.  So this was the week of European Cakes.  I chose to take on the signature challenge and make a yeast leavened cake inspired by the cakes of Europe.  I had to go hunting for ideas for this one, since I had no idea where to begin.  I didn't know any names of cakes so looking took a while.  Eventually though, I found something called a 'gugelhupf' which could be made in a Bundt tin, which I had.  Once I had a specific term to look for, finding a recipe was not too hard.

Making the yeasted dough did not feel much different from making a regular cake batter but there was a time where I was worried it would not rise.  It took a while to do anything on the first proofing, and I think most of the rise came from the baking.  Thankfully it turned out rather well.  I took it into work with me and it was promptly eaten by the staff, which was nice.  I like it when people enjoy my baking.  It is not a really sweet cake so if you aren't one for lots of icing this might be for you.


Recipe - adapted from About Food
  • 85g/3oz raisins
  • 85g/3oz mixed candied peel
  • Orange juice to cover, and for making the glaze
  • Breadcrumbs for dusting tin
  • 2.25 tsp dried yeast
  • 125ml/4.5fl.oz lukewarm milk
  • 180g/6.5oz butter, plus extra for greasing
  • 4 eggs
  • 120g/4oz caster sugar
  • Zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 500g/oz plain flour
  • 85g/3oz blanched, chopped almonds
  • 2 to 4 tbsp milk
  • Icing sugar
  1. Put the raisins and candied peel into a bowl and cover with the orange juice.  Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to soak overnight.
  2. Prepare a large Bundt tin by greasing it well with butter and sprinkling with breadcrumbs.
  3. Put a teaspoon of sugar into the warm milk and add the yeast.  Leave to proof for around 15 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until it is pale and creamy.
  5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating into the mixture after each addition.
  6. Mix in the vanilla extract, salt and lemon zest.
  7. Beat in the flour and yeast mixture until a sticky batter forms.  You can add the extra milk a little at a time to thin the mixture if needed.  It should jut drop from the spoon when lifted.
  8. Drain the raisins and candied peel and add them and the chopped almonds to the batter.  Fold in gently.
  9. Spread the batter into the prepared Bundt tin, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm spot until it has almost doubled in size.
  10. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and then bake the cake for 40-50 minutes.  A skewer inserted into the cake halfway between the centre and edge should come out clean.
  11. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
  12. Make the glaze by putting a few tablespoons of icing sugar into a bowl.  Add a teaspoon of orange juice at a time, mixing after each addition, until you get an icing with a slightly runny consistency.
  13. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and then leave to set before finally dusting with icing sugar.
---------------------------

Exciting news!  This blog has entered into the UK Blog Awards 2015.  Voting starts November 10th so hopefully I can count on your support!
UK blog Awards



No comments:

Post a Comment