Tuesday 26 August 2014

Lemon and Blueberry Mousse Cake


My husband is the main person who eats my baking.  He is always my primary taste tester and he is also the person to comfort me when things go horribly wrong.  He is the best and I adore him (well obviously, since I did marry him).  So when I can I love to spoil him with things that are especially made with him in mind.  His birthday is always the perfect opportunity for this and I try to make him something special every year.  Of course, I also like to make something different each year so I can have something to put on my blog.

Now as you may know if you've been following my blog for any length of time, one of his favourite flavour combinations is lemon and blueberry.  I did also use that combination last year so had to think of a new way to use them this time.  In that sense the Hubby is a bit unhelpful.  If I ask him what he would like he says I need to present him with options.  So I had to sit and think for a while to come up with something.  And that something was a mousse cake!  Initially I wanted to see if I could do a blueberry version of a frasier.  But given how small blueberries are, it didn't seem feasible. 


So I figured a mousse cake would be more feasible.  Then I realised I had only ever made a mousse cake with a chocolate collar for support (see here and here).  I didn't want to do that this time but was then faced with a new dilemma: how do I support the mousse whilst it sets?  Research revealed that I either needed a spring-form tin or acetate.  I had neither.  I did try ordering acetate but it wasn't the right size.  So I had to think of some other way of doing it.  My solution?  Line a bowl with clingfilm, put the mousse in and then place the cake on top and leave it to set before turning it out the right way up.  I had no idea if it would work and did have to trim the cake so it would fit my bowl. (Oh no, exposed sponge! Paul Hollywood would not approve).

Lucky for me, it worked great so I have that method to fall back on if I want to try making something like this again.  I cannot tell you how pleased I was with how it looked.  It's just so pretty!  Especially with all the blueberries on top!  It received a lot of compliments.  And then a lot of second helpings once it was served up!  The mousse had the perfect balance of lemon flavour.  Not too strong but not subtle either.  The hubby compared its texture to soft serve ice cream, though it was firmer than that.  It does hold its shape and doesn't melt.  The cake was soft and spongy and the blueberries were so juicy.  It was a cake that did not last long at all!  And the Hubby especially loved it, which was the most important thing!


Recipe:
This cake needs to be left overnight in the fridge to set.


Blueberry Cake - inspired by The Good Food Channel
  • 2 egg
  • Caster sugar equal to the weight of 2 eggs in their shells
  • Salted butter equal to the weight of 2 eggs in their shells
  • Self-raising flour equal to the weight of 2 eggs in their shells
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 115g/4oz blueberries
Lemon Syrup - adapted from Cook Lisa Cook
  • 2 lemons
  • 250ml/9fl.oz water 
  • 100g/3.5oz sugar
Lemon Mousse - adapted from Cook Lisa Cook
  •  2-3 lemons
  • 1.25 tsp powdered gelatin
  • 200g/7oz white chocolate chips
  • 3 tbsp sour cream
  • 250ml/9fl.oz double cream
  • 115g/4oz blueberries
  • Icing sugar for dusting
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
  2. Grease and line one 18cm/7inch round cake tin with baking parchment.
  3. Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage. 
  4. Remove the seeds from the vanilla beans.   
  5. Put the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds into a large bowl and beat until really pale and fluffy.   
  6. Whisk the egg yolks and vanilla extract together and add to the butter mix a little at a time, folding it in to add air to the mixture. 
  7. Reserve 1 tbsp of the flour, sift the rest into the batter and fold that in also. 
  8. Add the egg whites and fold those in too until you cannot see any white in the mixture. 
  9. Toss the blueberries in the remaining flour and then fold them gently into the batter.
  10. Pour the mixture into the tin and use a spatula to make sure it is evenly spread.
  11. Allow to rest in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and removing the paper.  Leave to cool completely.
  12. Juice the lemons for the syrup then remove as much of the remaining pith and flesh from the rind as possible.
  13. Slice the rind into strips.
  14. Bring the water to boil in a saucepan and then add the lemon peel.  Boil for 5 minutes until tender.
  15. Remove the peels from the water and then add the sugar.  Stir until dissolved.
  16. Bring the syrup back to a boil and add the peels back in.  Reduce to a simmer and cook the peels until transparent and tender (30 minutes to 1 hour).
  17. Remove the peels, lay out on a tray covered in greaseproof paper and leave to dry. 
  18. Juice the other lemons for the mousse and add to your existing lemon juice. (You need 125ml/4.5fl.oz of juice).
  19. Put 1.5 tbsp of the lemon juice into a small bowl and add the gelatin.  Set aside for about 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to soften.
  20. Combine the remaining lemon juice with the syrup in the small saucepan.  Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until they have combined.
  21. Add the gelatin mix to the lemon syrup mix and stir to dissolve.
  22. Add the white chocolate chips and whisk over a gentle heat until they have just melted.
  23. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sour cream.  Pour into a medium sized bowl and put in the fridge to chill.  You want the mixture to cool and start to thicken but not set.  This should take about 2 hours.
  24. Line a straight edged bowl that is the same diameter as your cake with clingfilm (if cake is too big, trim it around the edges so that it can fit snuggly into the top of the bowl.
  25. Put the double cream into a bowl and whisk to stiff peaks.
  26. Fold the cream into the lemon chocolate mix until smooth.
  27. Pour the mixture into the prepared bowl and level the surface.
  28. Place the cake on top of the mousse, pressing down slightly to make sure there is no gap between the two.
  29. Cover the bowl with clingfilm to prevent the cake drying out and refrigerate overnight to set the mousse. 
  30. Carefully remove the cake from the bowl onto a plate.  Remove the clingfilm.
  31. Decorate with blueberries and the candied peel and then dust with icing sugar to finish.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blueberry cake. Thanks for sharing recipe. Nowadays all these cakes easily available in market. Now you can buy your favorite cake from cake shop in Rajkot also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi can this cake be made in advance undecorated and frozen?

    ReplyDelete