Monday 24 February 2014

Vanilla Bean Chocolate Chunk Cookies

 

Why yes this is another chocolate chip cookie recipe.  There have been a few of late haven't there?  But I like them and I like trying out new recipes for them because there are so many out there!  Besides, these were to take in to share with a group during a project meeting and I figured most people would like this sort of cookie.  And if not then I could happily eat them myself.

The original recipe looked very tempting, especially as it used vanilla bean paste.  However, I don't have any of that. What I do have though, is 9 vanilla beans, so I thought I'd make use of one of those instead.  Then decided to add just a smidgen of extract too, just for an extra boost.  It worked out lovely.  I also used chunks instead of chips because that is all the local shop had but that was for the best.  There was so much chocolately goodness in each cookie as a result.  The only other thing I changed was the cooking time.  I kept them in just a bit longer than the original because I prefer some crunch to my biscuits.  They still had a slightly soft middle but not too much.

They were amazing cookies!  So so yummy.  Quite a good size and the amount of chunks in them was great.  Plus, since there was no chilling, they were made and baked rather quick (or as quick as I can go with one tray of 6 in the oven at a time).  Everyone who had one really liked them.  I will say though, I thought they tasted better the day after they were made.  They had firmed up just a little more by then and it was really hard not to keep eating them.  I had to be really restrained around my group.  Not so much after I got the leftovers home!

Recipe - adapted from The Domestic Rebel
Makes about 30

  • 340g/12oz plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 170g/6oz butter
  • 125g/4.5oz light brown sugar
  • 45g/1.5oz granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g/7oz milk chocolate chunks
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  2. Mix the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cornflour together in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Beat the granulated and brown sugars together with the butter in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
  4. Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the sugar butter along with the egg and the vanilla extract.  Beat until well mixed.
  5. Add the flour gradually, beating in after each addition.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
  7. Roll heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on the trays spaced 5cm/2inches apart.  Flatten slightly.
  8. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are starting to turn golden brown.  Rotate halfway through to ensure even baking.
  9. Allow to rest on the trays for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment