Thursday 31 October 2013

Raspberry and White Chocolate Ghost Biscuits


Despite the fact that I have very little time for baking at the moment, I really wanted to try and make at least one thing that was Hallowe'en themed.  I mean, I do like getting extra creative for the season, but this had an added bonus of meaning I would have something to offer any Guisers (trick-or-treakers) who came a knocking at our door (which they did).

October has become a bit of a month for biscuits it seems, since 3 of the 4 bakes I have done this month have been exactly that.  I love making biscuits.  They are usually quite easy and reasonably quick and often very yummy.  They are one of my favourite things to bake.  So it was nice to round out the month with something I like baking.

The idea for these was sparked by something I saw on the vast sea of the Internet that said a tulip cutter could be used to make ghost shaped biscuits.  Well, once I read that I knew I was going to have to try that out for Hallowe'en, especially since I had a tulip cutter sitting in my cutter drawer.  I didn't want to do a sugar biscuit or shortbread or anything I had made before though.  Yet I needed a dough that I could roll out and cut shapes from.  It was then I thought of the Fruity Teddies biscuits that were in one of my baking magazines. I have made the recipe before using bananas but this time I figured I would try a different fruit: raspberries.  After all, the fiancé likes raspberries.  White chocolate was then the obvious accompaniment to decorate with as not only does it go well with raspberries, it is also the perfect colour for ghosts!

They ended up being very successful.  The raspberry flavour is subtle for the most part, though apparently "spikes" at points in a really good way.  They are a lovely, thick biscuit and the white chocolate did indeed make for a good companion.  And they are moreish.  So very moreish, and that's always a good thing.

And as an added (non-baking) bonus, I carved my first ever pumpkin this year.  I think I did rather well for my first attempt.


Recipe - adapted from Biscuit via Baking Heaven volume 2
Makes about 25 
  • 100g/3.5oz butter
  • 100g/3.5oz golden caster sugar
  • 100g/3.5oz raspberries
  • 200g/7oz plain flour
  • 200g/7oz white chocolate
  • Black writing icing
  1. Wash and dry the raspberries.
  2. Place a thin mesh sieve over a bowl and press the raspberries through it until only the seeds remain.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.  
  4. Add the raspberry purée and mix.  If it starts to curdle, add a spoonful of the flour.
  5. Add the remaining flour to the mixture.  Beat together until a soft, sticky dough forms.
  6. Form dough into a rough ball and wrap in clingfilm.  Chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
  7. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line 2-4 baking trays (I only own 2 but ended up doing 4 batches) with greaseproof paper.
  8. On a clean, floured surface roll the dough out to 5mm/0.25inches thick.  Use a tulip cutter to cut out shapes and place them on the trays.
  9. Bake for about 17 minutes or until the edges of the biscuits are golden brown.  
  10. Allow to rest on the trays for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. 
  11. Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl placed over a pan of gently simmering water (make sure the water does not touch the bowl).
  12. Dip the top side of the biscuits in the melted chocolate and shake off the excess.
  13. Allow the chocolate to set and then draw faces on each one with the black writing icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment